Being underweight can cause a poor nutritional status, which increases the risk of infection. Speak to your doctor about any sudden unexplained weight loss. A well-balanced high-energy eating plan is essential to improve nutrient intake and support healthy weight gain.
- Plan your meals around the carbohydrates, protein and fat is the first step to ensuring a healthy, balanced eating plan.
- Fruit and vegetables are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and other protective substances in plants. A minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables should be included in your diet every day.
- Eat small nutritious meals or snacks every two hours. Include plenty of fruit-juice, vegetable soups and yoghurt as these are easy to digest. Meal replacements are an easy, quick way to obtain nutrients and can be used instead of a meal or as a snack.
Related article: Tips to gain weight
Congratulations! Following a healthy diet improves your energy levels, helps you reach an ideal body weight, manages medical conditions and prevent diseases, such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes later in life. So eating well is a worth-while investment!
- The great news is that there are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ foods, which means that healthy eating doesn’t need to be boring or bland. All foods can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet, if we apply three key elements: balance, variety and moderation.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit every day. Veggies and fruit are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre, which are all essential for optimal health.
- If you drink alcohol, drink sensibly. The current recommendation for alcohol is no more than one standard drink per day for women and no more than two standard drinks per day for men.
Overweight and obese
Excess weight has serious health consequences. It increases our risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, stroke, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis, sleep apnoea and some types of cancer. But these conditions are significantly improved with a weight loss of as little as 5% to 10% (even if the person is still considerably overweight).
- Balancing your diet for weight loss involves planning a variety of foods from each of the following food groups.
- Drink lots of water every day. Being just slightly dehydrated may be misinterpreted as hunger.
- Be active!
Review our library of tips and guidelines to manage your weight here.